Tuesday, January 18, 2011

R.I.P.

So, anyone who has ever had to significantly reduce calories will love this story.  To maintain my previous weight I had to be eating well over 3,000 calories a day.  I was probably close to 4,000.  I reduced my caloric intake to 1500 calories a day with no more than 30 grams of fat total.  To those of you who do not know what 1500 calories looks like - picture a slice of pepperoni pizza and a few wings washed down with a cold beer.  You get the picture.  Needless to say my husband was not on board with changing his eating habits, so dinner was on as usual for him.  By usual I mean a couple of juicy ribeye steaks on the grill.  Two steaks that I got to cook.  Bastard! So, as I am cooking the steaks I leave my dinner waiting on the counter.  My dinner you ask- a 260 calorie mini pizza and a salad.  Well, it was my dinner.  If I had a meat cleaver close I would have used it to chop my husband's hand off.  While I was grilling - for him- that man ate my damn pizza - called it his appetizer.  I flew into a fury. I was never so angry in my life.  How dare this man who gets the privilege of eating TWO steaks eat my tiny dinner as his appetizer.  The mere thought made me rage more.  Brent just looked at me like a deer in headlights.  He had no idea what he had done wrong.  I would have made Hitler cringe.  Why tell this story?  For me, it was the first time I ever got angry over not being able to eat whatever and whenever.  It is not the only time I will be caught grieving over food.  I needed that grieving process to shed the old ways and to adapt to the new.  So, get angry.  Cry, throw a fit, or two, or a hundred if you are like me.  Just get through the process so you can move on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment