Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Recipe for Success...the Italian Way

I LOVE deep dish pizza.  I HATE the calories.  Here is a little something to help with that Uno's craving.  This pizza  is a favorite in our house and the whole thing can be made with less calories than you find in just 1 piece of Uno's pizza.  Enjoy!!!!!!

Remember -  I am ITALIAN - we don't measure - we approximate.

Roll out dough - I use about half of a Wegman's dough.
*(I will spray the bottom of my dish so the dough doesn't stick)
Place in 9-10 inch pie plate with sides hanging over the edge.
Throw some flower down in  the bottom of the dough.
Sprinkle part skim pizza cheese on the bottom of the dough - not too much (cuts the calories...)
Crumble up pre-sliced mushrooms and toss them on the cheese (the whole damn pack)
El Fresco Garlic Chicken (2-4 pieces) - partially cook it, chop it, cook it again and then add to the mushrooms.
Sprinkle with a little more flour.
Add chunky tomatoes or some crushed tomatoes, BUT drain FIRST - too much liquid makes for a soggy pizza (but even soggy it is damn good!) - not too much - Just coat the top.
Sprinkle tomatoes with crushed red pepper. garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, dried basil, and lots of dried oregano (or not so much)
Sprinkle with some more cheese and top that with a few dashes of shaky cheese (again, not a ton of cheese - there should be cheese left in the bag at the end of this process)
Roll the edged of the dough inward and spray with spray butter - (yes...the liquid butter , it is a favorite among some anorexics so you can't go wrong)

Cook until done in a pre-heated oven:       425 for dark and non-stick     /     375 for clear pans
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Abby. I love that you write so frequently. When I feel like eating more than I should I can just come and read an entry. I was wondering about El Fresco garlic chicken. Is this a recipe of yours? I googled it and found sausage. Is that what you were talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - El Fresco is a food product. It is prepackaged chicken sausage and can be found in the meat department with the other prepacked Hillshire foods, ect.... I use the garlic package. It literally has chuncks of real garlic in it. It is so damn tasty, low cal, low fat, low carb, and low sugar! That is what I use in the pizza for sure!

    ReplyDelete