Friday, January 28, 2011

Perspiration is Inspiration

My Confession:  I am OBSESSED with Britney Spears' music.  How in the hell did this happen to me?  Unlike my obsession to the mess that is Britney Spears, the road to my addiction is actually not so humilating.  I was so big when I first began losing weight that it was very uncomfortable for me to move.  So, I began by making two promises -
1.  Cut Calories
2.  No Laziator at Work ( aka - elevator)

Taking the stairs was not easy at Edison, especially from the 1st floor to the 3rd floor.  I had to take these mo-fo stairs several times a day.  I was not going to give in and get on that damn laziator!...even thought I really wanted to.   The first few weeks I thought I was going to die.  I think I was purple the first day - but, then something happened - it became more and more easy to go up those stairs.  Go figure - right! 

Climbing those stairs gave me the confidence I needed to walk back into the gym.  I began walking at the RAC on the treadmills.  I recruited two friends - Deyon and Jamie to go to the gym with me.  As I walked slowly, very slowly on the treadmill, Deyon was running and perspiring next to me.  I was so stinking jealous, but her perspiration gave me the inspiration to pick it up.  I HATE working out in front of others.  I HATE it, but I do it.  I was self conscience about how I looked when I worked out, so I was embarrassed to go to classes, but nothing ventured - nothing gained.... or in this case - nothing lost.  Deyon went with me as I experienced some classes.  I settled on the cardio pilates class that met twice per week.  I am so glad I joined this class because it again pushed me out of my comfort zone. 

So, when did this obsession with Britney Spears start and what does it have to do with working out?  Well, it is sort of like this - I took the stairs, began walking, particpated in fitness classes, and then.....I heard this uppity song about a "Womanizer" and it energized me to no end.  Now, I was not about to buy a Britney Spears CD so I ventured on to Itunes and downloaded the song.  It was the first song I ever purchased form Itunes.  I loaded the song onto my Ipod and went off to the gym and worked out as usual........until that damn song "Womanizer" hit my ears.  It was all over for me at that moment.  I felt a surge of insanity come over me and found my finger going towards the UP button.  I couldn't believe what was happening - I was going to run.  AND, I did it!.....for all of 30 seconds that is. 

30 seconds was a start and I could only get better, right?  It became my mission to be able to run through the entire song of "Womanizer. "  Britney and I spent a lot of time together, but eventually I did make it through that damn song.  After that I added Pink and ran through two songs - and then I made it through three songs, and eventaully I ran my first straight mile. 

So, it all starts with a little perspiration and inspiration...... and maybe some Britney Spears.  Physical exercise is not easy, but we all must start somewhere.  Taking the first step is always the hardest, but it does not need to be a leap or a big step - it can be a baby step or even a crawl - as long as you are moving your body more than you were before.  So, move it and when you get a little self conscience just remember that you do not have to live with the humiliation of being obsessed with Briney Spears. 

1 comment: