Friday, April 1, 2011

I confess, I have Sinned.....

"Forgive me Father, for I have sinned.  It has been  (insert amount of time) since my last confession. ....."  I have not confessed my sins to a priest since the 8th grade.  I know this because St. Mary's only went through the 8th grade.  However, if the concept of getting into heaven were based on food confessions - I would be at the right hand of the Lord for sure.  

Today, I ate a fish fry with french fries and two rolls for lunch.  I am also going out to dinner wherein I will order fresh spring rolls and a Vietnamese Vermicelli Salad with extra dressing.  These two "sins" cannot be erased with three Our Fathers and a Hail Mary - no, they will require a much stronger penance. 
How many times do you confess to yourself, a parent, a spouse, or a girlfriend whatever it is you have eaten in a day because it has evoaked some kind of negative feeling in you that you feel you must seek penance?  Take a notebook and a pen and over the course of a week record how many times you confess to yourself or aloud to someone else.  Warning!  This could be an exhausting exercise. 

It is one thing to be mindful of the food choices that we make.  It is another to consistently feel bad about the choices that are made.  Choosing the "bad" food does not mean we are "bad" people.  This sense of needing to confess what we eat adds a negative emotional dimension about food that can be unhealthy for our minds, our emotions, and our bodies.  Living a healthy life is not living a life of perfection, but instead living a life with mindful awareness. 

"Forgive me Father, for I have sinned.  It has been  five minutes since my last confession, but don't expect another one today!"     

No comments:

Post a Comment