Friday, August 17, 2012

Feeding the Soul

While dropping my two beautiful but equally devilish children off at their respective places of play this morning I happened to hear a conversation on the radio about love.  Before you roll your eyes and think this is getting all gushy let me remind you that this is me writing......  So, back to the love.... the woman speaking was sharing with the radio audience that she had recently broken up with a man who told her after approximately 45 days that he did in deed love her. 

My initial thought.... SMART woman.  My next thoughts led me down a road of reflection remembering the first times that Brent and I shared with one another the big "I love you."  I would not categorize our first times as life altering or romantic by any means but would instead describe them as comical, which is not surprising as there is little between Brent and I that is not comical.

Yes, I did refer to our first times in the plural and if you allow me a moment of your time to indulge in the story you might get a chuckle.  The first time I told Brent that I loved him I was on the phone in the living room of our old home (we were not living together yet).   As with all of our previous conversations over the months I had every conscious intention to end the conversation the same way with a simple, "Ok, I'll talk to you late Babe, bye."  But, what flew out of my mouth was an abomination, a slip of the tongue, a hiccup in an otherwise calm water....not even paying a moment's attention to the words I was speaking I said, "Ok, I love you."  HUH?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  I what?!?!?!?!?!  The next words flying out of my mouth were, "I'm so sorry, I take it back.  Never mind.  Just forget that!" Upon which I abruptly hung the phone up as Brent was giggling.

Epic fail.  Needless to say it was not discussed or brought up as I was thoroughly mortified.  After time had passed Brenton looked at me one morning and said, "I told you something last night."  I looked at him quizzically and asked "when" to which he responded, "When you were sleeping."  This should be good I thought so, I bit the line and asked.  With his head down shaking and looking towards the floor he quietly told me that he loved me.  It sounded like someone was squeezing the air out of him. My response, "Oh and you didn't explode?"  Nope.  He did not explode at all.

I called Brent this morning and we got to giggling together once again over the debacles that were our first "I love you's."  There are times when the ordinary blunder can turn into the extraordinary.  Living a healthy lifestyle must go beyond the body and embed itself into the soul.  All people must feed their soul with the warmth and love of people that respect and support them while helping them grow and move forward.  Who are the people in your life that challenge you to continue to do and be your best, who lift you up when you falter, and remind you that you are amazing when you feel less than?  Equally important are the relationships wherein you too challenge, lift and support others.  These relationships not only feed us but allow us to maintain balance in our lives.....and as a bonus we also get great memories that will stay with us a lifetime.



         

No comments:

Post a Comment