Sunday, January 1, 2012

Fatty Patty

Gastric Bypass Update #1:
1.  The chairs are twice the width of normal chairs - When I try to rest my elbows I end up falling over into the chair.  I feel like a fool each and every time.
2.  The scale holds up to 1200 pounds......  Not that it needs to.
3.  Nutritional counseling is a must - The first nutritional appointment is in a group setting. Many in the group are very confused about what constitutes a serving... and NO it is not a 14" double meat sub from Wegmans.
4.  Psych evaluation is required - I actually passed.
5.  Eat - For 3 months all bypass candidates must eat the way they will be required to eat post surgery.  This includes, but is not limited to, maintaining a low fat, sugar free, caffeine free, fried food free diet.  This was really easy to do except the sugar.  I had to set a date for myself and keep it.  I have been sugar free for 7 days.  I did purchase some sugar free Russell Stover's candies today.  I ate two and savored every last taste of goodness........And then I hid the box.  Out of sight is out of mind.
6.  Smoking is out.
7.  Alcohol does not need to be completely abandoned.  Thank god.

Where I am in the process:  I have completed everything except two nutritional appointments.  Appointment #2 is this coming week and then #3 is in February.  I could be looking at a surgical date as early as March or April.  As far as the risks go - they are extremely minimal and following the nutritional requirements decreases them even more.  So, that is the big scary process to having a gastric bypass.  
  
  

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I love this blog you have. I am a student at Wilson and I think you look beautiful! Good luck if you are getting this done, my mom just did - she couldn't be happier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stop by my office. I'd love to hear about your mom's experience from your point of view.

      Delete