Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Today's Lesson- There are Ways to Sneak in the Healthy at a Party

There are times when we all get down on ourselves.  The best party, however, is seldom the pity party we throw for ourselves.  Yes - you have guessed it, I have been in a self loathing mood for the last few days.  I think it is because I don't feel well, but I must remember the promise (or resolution...I suppose) I made in the New Year - No More Self Loathing!  So, I have had to lift my chin off of my sore knees and have had to move on. 

So - moving on......

I am throwing a big Italian dinner at my house at the end of February.  We are celebrating the success of a very good friend.  The challenge - keeping it healthy.  Italians are not known for health - we eat something like 17 courses during a traditional dinner.  I have been dreaming and planning about all of the yummy food I am going to make.  Okay, I lied.  I have actually been thinking with my stomach and dreaming about all the yummy food I am going to eat.  Recognizing this has forced me to put together an action plan.

Enter if you dare my dream list of food -
Fried Eggplant (aka - heaven)
Chicken Parm (aka - fried dreaminess)
Homemade Garlic Bread (aka - butter's delight)
Lasagna (aka - a ton of fun and gooiness)
Pasta with White Clam Sauce (aka - makes me smile)
Meatballs and Sauce (aka - keep your hands off my balls...YES, I went there!)
Stuffed Italian Bread (aka - the happiest heart attack you could have)
Cannolis (aka - hit me baby one more time.... I warned you of my Britney obsession!) 
ect......

Anyone salvating yet?  I know I am.  I know what some might be asking - Where's the healthy?  Well, it starts with a plan.  Step one, take a page out of "The Book de Dim Sum" and "The Book de Tapas" and make your servings smaller.  With all of the food being served there is no need for a full serving of each menu item.  Not only cut the portions, but cut the actual sizes of the food too.  Cut the chicken cutlets up! Step Two, do not set the table - allow people to remain standing and mingling.  The more you talk the less you eat.  Step Three, don't put all of the food out at once, keep it coming at a consistent, but slower, speed.  Knowing another round is on its way allows people to keep tasting, but not devouring.  Step Four, use small plates.  Smaller plates tricks the mind into thinking it is getting more than it is.  Step Five, replace butter and unhealthy oils with healthier choices.  Step Six, remember - it is still a party and it is okay to eat and not feel guilty.  So.... celebrate, congratulate, and most of all - have fun!   

      

No comments:

Post a Comment