Thursday, September 22, 2011

Turn'n Tricks

There is a lot we can learn from hoes.  For one - hard work pays.  Another - "exersex" can burn......... calories.  And yet another lesson - stick to the regular tricks and you will be rewarded.  When Noah was an infant and I was diagnosed with my crappy liver I had a decision to make about how I was going to live my life.  I knew then as I know now - put me against a bear and not only will I beat that bear in a pie eating contest, but I will eat the bear when the pie runs out.

Statistics continue to demonstrate that people who lose weight without truly changing their behaviors gain the weight back and many at a surplus.  I gained a percentage of my weight back not because I did not learn new behaviors, but because of pregnancy.  Honestly though, I did gain a tad bit of weight back due to the apple fritter donuts I was addicted to while pregnant.  I knew when I got pregnant that I was not prepared with all of the tools that I needed to keep my weight in check- sheer will power while the alien  inside of me kicked for sugar and carbs - was not one of them.  Knowing I was not fully prepared however did not stop me from putting a lot of pressure on myself to come out of my pregnancy as my old resolved self.

For 16 months I have put an insane amount of pressure on myself to be the pre-preggers me.  Not going to happen.  I am not the same.  I am now a mother of two, my career is in a totally different place, and my responsibilities have changed.  I am not the same, but there are some old tricks that will help.

I asked myself one question this week, "What could I not live without when I lost weight before?"  The answer: my calendar.  I lived and ate by my calendar.  I planned all of my meals for the week right down to the snacks.  Everyday I marked off my foods as I ate them.  So, I recreated a calendar this week and I used it.....and it worked.  I know what I am going to eat and when I am going to eat it.  Research shows that women need consistency in their diets and that even slight deviations can be detrimental.  Women should also strive to eat roughly the same amount of calories everyday with an emphasis on creating balance among the food groups.  The calendar makes this manageable.

If I had realized that giving in and letting everything go....whether to a higher power or not... was the answer then I would have given in 16 months ago.  I feel stronger than I did a few days ago and I know the strength will continue to come back.  How do I know?  Well, I'm an old Ho when it comes to weight loss.  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment